Shelter from the storm

Clicking on this link will bring you good karma:

Yesterday’s walk from the Gite at Charancieu was very demanding, with its ups and downs of the path route. I found it difficult waking up yesterday morning and this is usually the sign that I’m a bit ill and during the walk to Le Pin I began to feel very weak. At Le Pin I grabbed some energy for the walk ahead: a quiche, biscuits, and a can of coke. It didn’t help and about an hour later I was still feeling weak and worried that I’d need to find another Gite to rest up for the day. Instead I had a siesta for an hour in the grass and under the midday sun and coaxed myself into thinking that I could physically recharge myself through positive thinking. It actually worked and I continued walking for the rest of the day in the brilliant sunshine which streamed over the now (thankfully) flat terrain.

Towards the end of the day dark clouds began to loom overhead and a strong wind picked up so I knew I needed to find shelter pronto, before the rain which would inevitably arrive that evening.

I arrived to the little village of Saint Hilaire at around 7pm and seeing there was a Gite I approached and asked if I could sleep on the couch in the hall – I am now on a tight budget and didn’t want to fork out another 15 Euro for a night’s stay. The woman whom I asked went to fetch her husband, who turned out to be Italian and like most Italians; highly hospitable and full of life and laughter. He said I could stay in the shack at the top of the hill, behind the Gite, and the shack turned out to be an extremely comfortable night’s stay with all the creature comforts one could hope for when seeking out shelter:



He also brought me a couple of free range eggs, laid by his chickens, which he had cooked to perfection as you would expect from any Italian:


I made myself a cup of green tea, watched and heard the storm arrive, and settled into my sleeping bag laid out on the sofa for a wonderful night’s sleep:


Before he left for the night he wished me a good night’s sleep and let me know that the next few days would be walking on flat terrain. Good news:

The way of St. James

In the morning I woke up still feeling slightly weak, but able to convince myself to get up to take a shower and set off in my dry boots and clothes. Dry until I came across a rogue cow running down the path in front of me and without any cover I quickly walked into a side field full of wet grass from the night’s rain and…
…my boots and trousers were soaked through in minutes.
Oh well, better than a confrontation with a horned cow (or it might have been a bull. I didn’t stop to examine).

I began my walk this morning at first light and on the way I saw the turning to the St-Antoine-L’Abbaye, which is a possible route down to the Arles Way. I continued on walking on the route to Le Puy and arrived to the relatively large and beautiful town of La-Cote-St-Andre about an hour ago where I found a restaurant with @ and was able to skype with my children. A statue stands over the road, remembering the children who died in the war:


It’s time to seek out a high-fat breakfast, buy my lunch for the way, and then continue on in wet boots and trousers along the way towards Le Puy. The weather is looking good, with a high chance of sunshine, and I hope to have my boots dried out asap. The weather forecast though for the next few days is rain.

Looking forward to walking on the flat and clocking up a higher amount of kilometres each day.

Categories: Walking into Spring and Summer [My 3,109km walk from Prague to Finisterre]Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: